A Mother Like No Other

13466201_10209400454199030_4316481728389443895_nI was awakened around 6am this morning (6/25/16), to the gentle shaking and rumbling of my bed, generated by the tears and secret cry of my wife. The mother of my wife and her siblings, Sis. Nellie Jean Jones (most often known to many as Sis. Jones), was funeralized, buried, and celebrated in grand fashion yesterday. I can hear my wife right now downstairs, still gently crying and arranging flowers, before she heads to the gym. For my own healing and as a tribute to the blessed life of Sis. Jones, it is vital to my soul that I document a word about this multifaceted wife, mother, matriarch, and Christian spirit. On this June 25th day of 2016, it is calm outside. The sun is shining perfectly, the breeze only blows as needed, and it all seems serene. The current climate and atmospheric texture is one of peace.

My mother died on Easter Sunday, April 5, 2015. I thought I handled her death well, but the13522025_10209400493280007_9007754201116845299_n
life-departure of Sis. Jones pulled the wool off the reality of my world, inner-being, and fragility. Sis. Jones was diagnosed with a medical condition in 2014, but she only shared this reality with my wife in December of 2015. However, the real start of her decline was in November of 2010 when the Oakland Police murdered her unarmed son (Derrick DD Jones) in a dark East Oakland alley, postulating in classic fashion that they thought he had a weapon. I did not fully realize it at the time, but I rushed through the death of my mother. Life did not stop, so I did not take the necessary time to do what was needed. For the past 6-7 months I watched my wife care for her mother. Sis. Jones was exceptionally close to all of her children and in her last months of life, her children were able to minister to and care for her, the way she cared for them.

The last time I saw Sis. Jones outside the hospital was Mother’s Day (5/8/16). She was sitting on the floor as she preferred, soaking up the beaming sunlight, glistening in from the Oakland skyline hills. On May 11 Sis. Jones was taken back to the hospital because she was having difficulty breathing, but this time she did not physically return home. The first 5-7 days she was in the hospital I visited daily with my wife and often our children. In just a couple of days she went from a regular room to ICU. Sis. Jones was very private about her health condition so many people were not aware of her battles and multiple hospitalizations, especially over the past six months. Her last days in ICU were no different. She was in the hospital this last time for about 29-30 days, but ICU for about 27 days.

Unless they knew from another source, no one at church where I preach knew what Sis. Jones or my wife was going through. I knew if she passed it would be a true shock to 13439057_10209400515120553_3825065295158659345_nothers because it was an unshared reality of our family life. After visiting Sis. Jones daily, the emotionality of the process began to take a toll on me and I cannot imagine what it was internally doing to her husband and children. Over the past two months and especially the last thirty days, I became a much more withdrawn person, truly struggling if in the midsts of large groups of people. After a while I started visiting every two or three days, but the last four days of her life I was again there daily.  My wife Tonya and her sisters, Shonda and Eumeka, cared for Sis. Jones day and night. Their mother was never left alone in the hospital. They ensured that the medical staff provided the best of care for Sis. Jones and during her last 29-30 days in the hospital, her daughters rotated spending the night with her.

On Easter Sunday of 2015 I received a jolting call from my father that my mother had died. Although my mother battled through a health condition for years, her death seemed sudden. It was totally unexpected. Yet, with my mother in-law, I watched her gradually depart this life from a hospital bed. Each time I left the hospital it was a deep emotional adjustment. The 30-day period she was in the hospital before her death was surreal. I departed the hospital each time with a myriad of emotions; I was angry, numb, perplexed, confused, helpless, emptied, sad, frustrated, and emotionally drained. At work I literally felt like a zombie and a man behind a concrete mask. No one knew I was faking being okay. I was emotionally suffering, internally crumbling, and while at work it felt like the walls were constricting. After her death, in desperation and survival mode, I confided in four men to pray specifically for me that I could make it through work.Those prayers truly helped.

As a school district Student Support Services Director, my primary job is to deal with and resolve the problems and conflicts of others. One of the most difficult things for me to do is manage the conflict(s) of other(s), while secretly battling my concealed emotional pain and grief. When my mother died last year I limped my way to a two-week summer break, and this year I found myself in the exact same situation, but even more extreme. I was now dealing with the compounded grief related to not just the death of one mother, but two. I am still not sure when I will take a break for the summer.

Because I did not handle the death of my mother correctly, with the death of Sis. Jones on June 8, 2016 (11:58pm), surrounded by her husband, 3 daughters, I was left in bad shape and space. Driving away from Oakland Kaiser after the midnight of her passing was unreal, knowing I would not return to ICU room 769, for that precious soul and purpose ever again. Now every time I am in that area, my first reaction is that I am going to check on Sis. Jones.

13512126_10209400470799445_238595537839532343_nThe fourteen days between the death of Sis. Jones and her funeral were intense — and for me — just getting to work during that period was a monumental task. I watched the emotions and struggles of my wife, knowing that Sis. Jones was a mother like no other. My heart continually goes out to her husband Frank Jones, and all of her children. Despite the deep pain, the funeral was celebratory, the eulogy was divinely inspired and delivered, and there was not an empty seat in the house. The hospitality and catering of the Hilltop church of Christ was first class and the work, attendance, and servanthood of West Oakland church of Christ members was not only appreciated, but will never be forgotten. At the end of the day I actually felt a starting point for proper grief to healthily begin for my mother Andrea Jeffrey and that of Sis. Nellie Jean Jones.

Aside from the mighty power of God, no one could have prepared my wife and I for the fact that our mothers would die almost one year apart. When I learned of the health condition of Sis. Jones, it became clear to me that it was of necessity that my mother was to die first, to help us be slightly more prepared for the death process of Sis. Jones.

13524490_10209400470399435_4179005377620600698_n (1)

The Hard Part
13432161_1168731379836180_2338680113550640629_nSis. Jones was not your typical mother. Because of that I am not sure how her husband and children are supposed to process life without her all-consuming presence and influence. It is hard to understand life and the Jones family without the matriarchal presence of Sis. Jones. Deep prayers remain for Bro. Jones, as he is left without his wife of 49 and a half years and my father without his of 50 years. The entire identity of Sis. Jones and her life-purpose was wrapped inside the context of motherhood. Even her role as a wife operated through the sphere of motherhood. My wife told me how she drove them to school daily and even if they did walk home she stood out on the block and watched from afar to make sure they made it home safely. No mother could protect their children better than Sis. Jones. She was the embodiment of a homemaker and she loved every ounce of it. Her ministry and job was to care for, protect, nurture, and guide her children and husband. My wife has inherited the same protective mothering and wraps it around our children.   

Sis. Jones was not ready to die; as long as her husband and children were on this side of life she wanted to be in service to them. I believe if Sis. Jones had it her way, the most ideal situation would be for all of her children, their spouses, and her grandchildren to all live on one compound or estate, with her still ruling and ministering as mother, grandmother, and matriarch. When it came to her family she was never tired of serving. She was a 24/7 mother. If something happened in the early morning or late at night, Sis. Jones was urgently responsive. The first time I ate some of her food I was turned-out; I could not believe what I was eating/tasting and could not wait for more. Sis. Jones enjoyed watching me eat her food. I am not sure who enjoyed which more; her watching me eat or me consuming her cuisine.

In nature after the baby bird reaches a certain level, the mother bird drops it from the nest294811_1718646305952_7646420_n
to begin its proper testing for flight. Well, for Sis. Jones, she was fine with all the birds in the nest and did not want to see or risk any harm that could come through flight. I have never met a mother that loved the role of mothering more than Sis. Jones. Not only did she love her role, but her children appreciated and loved every second of the love, protection, and mothering provided. It was never too much for them. When it was time for me to marry my wife, her father was all for it, but Sis. Jones struggled deeply because the result would be her child leaving the home. I do not think she ever got over it. She told me she did, but despite how biblical the concept, I think she continually wrestled with the fact that 17 years ago her daughter Tonya was the first to marry and fly away from the nest.

The love of Sis. Jones was extremely deep and will continue to live and manifest. As I said at the funeral yesterday, I do not know how life continues after the loss of such a mother. However, I do know that faith in the God she trusted will get all of the family through this most trying time of life. It will only be the power of God that can provide the necessary comfort, strength, and ability to make it through this new reality of life, without the physical presence, unrelenting love, consoling touch, listening ear, or southern-style food of Sis. Jean Jones.

Rest In Sweet Paradise Sis. Jones

13507087_10209400499040151_8796832653848659860_n (1)

Dr. Ammar Saheli, Son In-Law

Posted on June 25, 2016, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. Brother Saheli,

    I appreciate reading your heartfelt tribute. You and your family have continuously been in my prayers, the prayers of several of my family members, as well as the prayers of church members across the nation. Sis Jeffries and Sis. Jones were shining examples of christian women, loving wives, caring mothers and grandmothers. These women left legacies and their love will be carried on through the lives of numerous family members and those who knew them well. I pray that God provides you all with the comfort, strength, and ability to make it through your new reality of life. I love you all.

    Take care,

    Sis. Pamela Harris

  2. Elizabeth Hart

    Thank you so very much for sharing your heart and soul with us. My heart goes out to you and your family as well as all the family. Sister Jones was a very beautiful lady, woman of God inside and out who was loved by all. Death is all around us and its been very hard. Philippians 1:21- For to me,to live is Christ and to die is gain.
    I know God is more than able and he will wipe away all your tears in dew time. Please Call him up and have a little talk with Jesus. I love you all and I am praying daily for all of you.

    Sister Liz Hart

  3. My prayers have been with you I know the feeling of losing my Mother too. and I always miss and need her especially right now I too may be sick and if i am I am not going to tell anyone untill they need to know I have so many regrets and made the wrong choices that has me feeling some kind of way they are my fault and I can’t fix it so I will not burden my family with it if I find out it is what I think it is I have disappointed them and myself as it is. I know the feeling of walking around like a zombie at work and home not telling anyone of my emotional pain so I numb it any way I can I haven’t been to church in awhile so i deserve whatever i get, i got to get back though I am up now thinking all kinds of things. I fake being happy because I am not. in my mind is why burden my family with my illness and disrupt their lives.

  4. Bro. James Heard

    Bro. Saheli,
    This message is filled with so much concern, love, and deep rooted feelings that it is spiritually medicinal. Our family has been praying for the Saheli, Jones, and Nash family since we learned of the serious illness of our dear Sis Nellie Jean Jones. The beautiful message of encouragement you shared during the service not only set the tone for the day but it resonated in the hearts of all who heard them. The service was truly beautiful and we pray that the Lord be with you and your entire family always.
    Love Always,
    Bro & Sis Heard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: